Building community while building a rain garden
October 21 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Becca Robinson, RAIN Coach, Reep Green Solutions
- Patrick Gilbride, RAIN Program Manager, Reep Green Solutions
St. Francis of Assisi is the patron saint of ecologists. So it is only appropriate that the community will come together to build a rain garden at the church named in his honour. The rain garden will provide habitat for wildlife and inspire others in the neighbourhood to help protect the environment. RAIN Coach Becca Robinson will guide participants, step by step, through the construction of a rain garden. Following a short educational presentation on rain gardens at 10 am, participants are invited to help convert an unused patch of grass into a rain garden that will soak up stormwater that would otherwise run-off.
Rain gardens are constructed to capture a large volume of water. Rain gardens differ from conventional gardens because they are dug out and filled with a special soil/compost mixture, enabling the garden to act like a sponge. Learn step by step how to construct a rain garden to maximize its ability to capture water, while also enhancing and beautifying your outdoor space!
This workshop is part of our RAIN Smart Neighbourhoods project, in which two Kitchener neighbourhoods – Lakeside and Mount Hope – are receiving support to beautify their homes with landscapes that manage rain where it falls. If you live in one of these neighbourhoods, get in touch to see how we can help you make your home more RAIN Smart!
A timeline of the day’s events
(times are approximate)
- 10:00 am – 10:15 am: Presentation about rain gardens
- 10:15 am – 11:30 am: Digging out the rain garden
- 11:30 am – 12:15 pm: Refilling the rain garden with special soil/compost mix
- 12:15 pm – 1:00 pm: Break for lunch
- 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm: Planting plants, adding mulch, watering plants
- 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Cleaning up
We encourage you to use a sustainable form of transportation such as walking, cycling or carpool.
Parking is available in the church parking lot for free.
IN PARTNERSHIP WITH
WITH FUNDING PROVIDED BY: