- This event has passed.
Waterloo Region Town Hall – Federal Climate Action Consultation
August 18, 2016 | 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
REEP Green Solutions is collaborating with several other local environmental groups to hold a local consultation.
A broad coalition of local organizations* are partnering with our Five federal members of Parliament to host Climate Town Hall – WR, to provide the citizens of Waterloo Region with an opportunity to share ideas for input to the Federal Climate Action Consultation.
Prime Minister Trudeau and Canada’s First Ministers committed to creating a national climate strategy for Canada in the March 2016 Vancouver Declaration. Through the summer, public consultation activities related to this strategy will take place across the country and feed into expert working groups assembled by the federal and provincial governments.
This is our opportunity to demonstrate that we have a powerful base of creative, knowledgeable leaders and citizens who are passionate about finding climate change solutions.
We want to show the Federal government that our region cares about addressing climate change, and that we are already working on solutions. Have your voice heard! Or simply come along to support other speakers and show that you really care about the issue.
Register above to attend the Kitchener consultation for the five constituencies in Waterloo Region on Thursday August 18th at 7pm at the Kitchener City Hall Rotunda. Note that registration is not required to participate in the consultation. However, it is appreciated as it helps with our planning.
* ClimateActionWR, Chippewas Solidarity, Citizens’ Climate Lobby, CREW WR, Divest Waterloo, REEP Green Solutions, Transition KW, Waterloo Region Blue Dot, Waterloo Regional Labour Council
Local Members of Parliament: Brian May (Cambridge), Raj Saini (Kitchener Centre), Marwan Tabbara (Kitchener South – Hespeler), Harold Albrecht (Kitchener-Conestoga), Hon. Bardish Chagger (Waterloo)
Related event: Canadian Climate Solutions: What Should be in the National Climate Plan?
This event at 7 p.m. on Aug. 11 at CIGI is to help inform people of the issues related to the consultation.
- Sarah Burch, Senior Fellow, Global Economy (CIGI)
- Heather Douglas, Waterloo Chair of Science and Society, Balsillie School of International Affairs
- Maria Panezi, Post-doctoral Fellow, International Law Research Program (CIGI)
- Caterina Lindman, Citizens’ Climate Lobby
- Deborah McGregor, Canada Research Chair in Indigenous Environmental Justice, Osgoode Hall Law School