- This event has passed.
Lakeside Work Party | Plant a Rain Garden in our Community
June 2, 2018 | 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Join us for a work party to build a rain garden! This rain garden will provide habitat for wildlife, attractive native pollinators like bees and butterflies and encourage rainwater to replenish the ground water, reducing pollution.
RAIN Coach Michael Albanese will guide participants, step by step, through the construction of a rain garden. Following a short educational presentation on rain gardens at 10 am, participants are invited to help create a beautiful rain garden that will soak up storm-water that would otherwise run-off.
Rain gardens are constructed to capture a large volume of water. Rain gardens differ from conventional gardens because they are dug out and filled with a special soil/compost mixture, enabling the garden to act like a sponge. Learn step by step how to construct a rain garden to maximize its ability to capture water, while also enhancing and beautifying your outdoor space!
This workshop is part of our RAIN Smart Neighbourhoods project, in which two Kitchener neighbourhoods – Lakeside and Mount Hope – are receiving support to beautify their homes with landscapes that manage rain where it falls. If you live in one of these neighbourhoods, get in touch to see how we can help you make your home more RAIN Smart!
A TIMELINE OF THE DAY’S EVENTS
June 2, 2018 | 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
(times are approximate)
- 10:00 am – 10:15 am: Presentation about rain gardens
- 10:15 am – 11:30 am: Digging out the rain garden
- 11:30 am – 12:15 pm: Refilling the rain garden with special soil/compost mix
- 12:15 pm – 1:00 pm: Break for lunch
- 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm: Planting plants, adding mulch, watering plants
- 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Cleaning up
- Michael Albanese, RAIN Coach, Reep Green Solutions
- Patrick Gilbride, RAIN Program Manager, Reep Green Solutions
We encourage you to use a sustainable form of transportation such as walking, cycling or carpool.
IN PARTNERSHIP WITH
WITH FUNDING PROVIDED BY: