How to Size Your Rain Garden
This is an accessible transcript for the above video designed to help people who use screen readers access the information.
A general rule: a rain garden is 1/10 the size of the area draining to it.
- Select your ideal location for a rain garden.
- Choose an area that is: somewhat flat, down sklope from a downspout and near a good spot to direct overflow, like a lawn.
- Measure the area of your roof emptying into your downspout.
- 3mx4m = 12 square meters.
- Divide this number by 10 to get the ideal surface area for your rain garden. (e.g. 12/10 = 1.2 square meters)
- Layout the shape of your rain garden so that it is equal to this area.
- Make sure your rain garden is at least 3 meters (about 10 feet) from your foundation.