We are committed to upholding the “Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act” (PIPEDA, current to 2012-10-17 and last amended on 2011-04-01) enacted by the federal government to regulate the collection, use and disclosure of personal information.
Examples of ways that we uphold this policy: Lap top computers are password protected. Emails are encrypted. Employee/client files are kept locked, and not left unattended visibly on top of counters or desks. Client and donor information is not shared with other team members in an elevator full of people. Team members will not share amongst themselves or the public, personal details learned about their colleagues, clients or donors at our organization.
Personal information may be provided to us through a variety of communications including correspondence, donations, programming, volunteering or employment. We will identify the reasons for collecting personal information before or at the time it is collected. Our staff is authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with the information for the reason(s) it was obtained. The principles stated below will be respected and obeyed in all circumstances.
1. All team members and contract associates shall sign a Statement of Confidentiality which shall be maintained in their file. Volunteers need to sign a Letter of Agreement which contains a Confidentiality Clause;
2. We will only collect the personal information that we require to fulfill our obligations to our clients, our donors and our funders;
3. We shall use and share information only for the purpose stated when it was provided to us by our clients, colleagues and donors with their agreement;
4. All identifiable information regarding our team members, our clients and our donors shall be stored in a locked and secure manner to prevent unauthorized use;
5. We will destroy personal information when we no longer need it or as it is required by law to do so;
6. We will grant a client or donor access when they ask to have access to their personal information that our organization has on file;
7. We are obligated to correct any errors in personal information brought to our attention by our clients and donors;
8. Identifiable information will only be accessed by the team member directly connected to the individual of the information in question;
9. Team members’, donors’ information, and clients’ information, including EnerGuide for Houses scores and recommendations, will not be shared with contractors, friends or anyone else in a casual or professional capacity without prior written permission;
10. We will not provide or share any personal information with third parties unless:
A. We are authorized in writing by the individual to do so;
B. The information is necessary to process a donation or sale; for example to process a cheque; or
C. It is required by law;
11. As a team member, we will ensure that our organization follows the principles of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA).
12. We will receive and follow up on any inquiries or complaints about how our organization collects, uses, and shares personal information.
Our team members will keep all sensitive information private and confidential during and after termination of employment or volunteer period.
Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act