Renewable Energy & Contractors
Resources for Waterloo Region
C.R.E.W. (Community Renewable Energy Waterloo): This volunteer citizens’ group sponsors speakers and events on renewable energy options for our community. Check out their site for upcoming events or more information.
W.I.S.E. (Waterloo Institute for Sustainable Energy): This research organization, based out of the University of Waterloo, aims to shape public attitudes, inform energy policy, and create transformative change for the future.
- Ontario microFIT Feed-in Tariff Program: Find out about contracts with the provincial government for your renewable energy projects.
- Ontario Ministry of Energy Incentive Programs: There are many conservation and renewable energy programs available in Ontario to help you in your efforts to be more energy aware for your home. They have a full list of relevant programs.
- If you are interested in renewable energy but are unable to generate renewable energy yourself, here are options for purchasing green power:
Renewable Energy Contractors List
To assist you in finding the help you need to retrofit your house, REEP Green Solutions has compiled a list of local businesses that provide and / or install renewable energy products and systems. Listing a service provider or product supplier is NOT a recommendation.
Contractors certify that they:
- Hold all relevant licences to perform the work they offer.
- Hold liability insurance for at least $2 million.
- Will comply with all applicable laws, standards and manufacturer’s instructions.
- Will remove any work-generated waste from the property.
- Will talk to you and your energy advisor if they have any differences of opinion regarding the recommendations.
Any service provider who meets these standards is welcome to apply for a listing.
Types of Business provided
Renewable energy products and services are available for both the residential and commercial sectors. The following list provides some of the different business types offered by the renewable energy industry. REEP Green Solutions recommends getting at least three quotes for the work to be done whenever possible, and getting a written contract from the chosen contractor to ensure that you will be getting affordable and quality work.
- Engineering: design and construction of new and / or improved renewable energy products or systems
- Manufacturing: large-scale production of renewable energy technologies
- Consulting: provide the service of professional advice on the use or function of renewable energy systems
- Supplier: provide renewable energy technologies, systems, devices and / or equipment to the industry
- Retail: purchase from suppliers to provide renewable energy products to customers in the community
- Installation: provide the service of positioning renewable energy systems and connecting them for use
Types of Products Supplied
When contacting a renewable energy provider, make sure that they offer the service that interests you. The following list provides some of the renewable energy products offered by the industry in Waterloo Region. Being on this list is NOT a recommendation.
|Solar: solar water heating systems; solar swimming pool systems; solar electric systems (photovoltaic; grid-tied; remote and mobile); solar powered electric fences; solar gadgets|
|Wind: wind turbines (small and large); wind energy systems|
|Geothermal *: geothermal ground source heat pumps; geothermal systems (heating and cooling)|
|Heat Recovery: drain water / waste water heat recovery systems|
|Delta Air Systems Ltd.||Waterloo||(519) 885-2740|
|Globe Solar Energy Inc.||Toronto||(416) 203-3121|
|Green Grid Solutions||Listowel||(519) 885-9021||Not Available|
|Menergy Geothermal Inc.||Fergus||(519) 843-5888|
1 (888) 900-0436
|Merlyn Power||Kitchener||(519) 744-2217|
|Natural Power Products||Brantford||(519) 752-6939||Not Available|
|RenewABILITY Energy Inc.||Kitchener||(519) 885-0283|
1 (877) 606-5559
|Solar Dynamics||Kitchener||(519) 745-3426|
1 (888) 960-3426
1 (866) 765-2263
|Waterloo Energy Products||Maryhill||(519) 648-9977|
|Ultimate Solar||Guelph||(519) 821-9179|
|Envisionmatrix||Waterloo||1 800 238 2464|
* NOTE: to qualify for the geothermal grant, homeowners must have their CAN / CSA-C488 compliant system drilled, designed, and installed by professionals accredited by the Canadian GeoExchange Coalition.