Personalizing Your Zero Waste Challenge
During our Zero Waste Challenge every October, your goal is simple: fit all your waste destined for landfill into a 1L jar for 7 or 30 days. During your Challenge, you are encouraged to embrace the 5 Rs of Zero Waste to reduce the waste you generate.
If you’re taking the 7 or 30 day Zero Waste Challenge with us this year, you may be wondering how to make your challenge work for you. If so, we’ve got good news for you: the Zero Waste Challenge looks different for everyone! Personalizing your challenge will not only make the transition to Zero Waste living easier; it will also make the challenge fun and rewarding! We encourage you to consider some of the following options below to personalize the challenge:
- Use 1 mason jar for everyone in your home (only 1 registration required) or use a jar per person (register individually).
- If anyone in your home uses disposable diapers, they can be exempted from the challenge since it is a difficult change for a short period. We encourage you though to consider trying an alternative such as cloth diapers.
- While feminine hygiene products are also exempt from the challenge, you could use this opportunity to try a sustainable alternative.
- Meat packaging including butcher paper is garbage that can’t be recycled or composted. If you normally eat meat, we encourage you to consider reducing or eliminating the meat in your diet. An alternative is to ask a butcher to put your meat directly into a container you bring from home. We’ll let you decide if you want to exempt meat packaging or figure out how best to track it.
- Increase the challenge! Stop using single-use plastic, such as plastic water bottles/grocery bags/to-go containers, that you only use once before it is recycled).
- If you are the only one taking the challenge in your home, consider using a smaller jar.
- If including your work life is too difficult, take the challenge for your personal life.