Ordering a rain barrel is the first step for many making their yard a healthy yard. It can seem intimidating, but installing a rain barrel is a simple task for the home DIYer. Healthy Yards Advisor Rebecca Robinson made the above video to help people learn how to install their own rain barrels. We have provided a transcript below.
1. Remove the existing downspout
2. Build a flat, stable surface for your rain barrel. A stand makes it easier to fill a watering can from the bottom of your rain barrel.
3. Place the rain barrel on the stand and measure the downspout.
4. Cut the downspout using a hacksaw. Cut far enough up to leave room for a spout to go into the barrel.
5. Attach the existing elbow to your downspout.
6. Cut a length of downspout to go from the elbow into the rain barrel.
7. Ensure the barrel is oriented with the overflow at the back and spigot at the front.
8. Attach a hose or pipe to the overflow outlet so that rain flows away from your foundation and onto an absorbant surface (like a rain garden) when the rain barrel is full.
9. Enjoy! Make sure to empty your rain barrel before it rains.